Monday, August 11, 2008

Ebenezer Scrooge & Me

As I was reading a passage in Hebrews this
morning and reflecting on all that God has done
for me in Christ, I was appalled at my own
underwhelmedness. I've spent some time the last month really thinking about the fact that sin
demands wrath because God is Holy, and I am a sinner deserving His wrath, but WAIT!!! He sends His Son to take my wrath and forgive me!
Then He FOREVER looks at me just as He looks
at His beloved Son!! I have been redeemed and I
have the hope of eternal life with Him!

I thought about this a lot through the day and
confessed to God that I'd be more overwhelmed
and overjoyed most days to win a reliable new car or something less spectacular. As I confessed this, a very vivid image popped into my mind from one of my favorite movies of all time. The 1951 production of A Christmas Carol, starring Alastair Sim (no other version compares). I don't know of any greater portrayel of pure joy than Sim's Ebenezer Scrooge awakening on Christmas morning after a most horrifying vision of the Spirit of Christmas Yet to Come. Scrooge is shown the end that is to be his because of his self worship through life. He is tormented by what he sees and begins to awaken. It is Christmas morning! He hasn't missed it. The bells are ringing! He has been given a new life. He is a new creation. He is overwhelmed with joy. Please do me the honor of viewing this short clip: http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=q8gOU8XJc7Y&feature=related As you watch and listen, please consider all the while what being forgiven by a most Holy God means. Are you thankful? Are you overjoyed?

"I'm not the man I was," said Ebenezer Scrooge. And I'm not the woman I was. Thank you God!!! Thank you. May this be my joy every hour!

Amber

No comments: