Thursday, August 21, 2008

Seek Ye First


"Seek ye first, seek ye first!" This is what my 21 month old sang from her lunch time high chair with cheese and apples in fist. My husband and I sing with her every night. On this day she initiated the chorus which I sang through tears of joy. As grateful as I am to hear these words coming from her mouth, I pray fervently everyday that this will be much more than a memorized chorus in her life. "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33. Having a child has been the most endearing thing that God has used to show me His love for me while at the same time showing me how much I need a Savior. I see myself in her selfishness, her tantrums and in her learning new things everyday. I reflect each of these. I am more grateful than ever that God is a loving Father, who knows what a child I am. He loves me as a daughter and He wants me to be a woman after His own heart. I must grow in the knowledge of His grace. He won't leave me to my own vices and sinful heart. Praise God!!! He disciplines, teaches and encourages me to grow. And just as I want my little one to always come to me even when she has messed up royally, I must go to my Father. He is Awesome and yet Gentle. He knows me. He knows my sin. He knows my gifts. He knows my frailty. He knows me. He loves me.
I want to seek His kingdom and His righteousness. When I'm in a "mood" or having an attitude problem, I,most likely, am not seeking His kingdom and His righteousness. I must live this out by the power of Christ so that my daughter will know that she too so desperately needs Him. I pray that this will be her hearts desire all of her days. I ask God to save her and change her and to grow her.
Having a child is my biggest reminder that I am a child and that I need my Father. The ferocious and wild Lion of Judah is tender and loving to those He calls His own.
Amber

1 comment:

YOW said...

It touched my heart reading this...thank you for posting it! Tell your little soloist hello, and I'll be over to play soon :-)
Proverbs 22:6